Hello & welcome to a new instalment of Sunday Scribbles. In this post, I talk about what I’ve been up to this week, why my 40 Days of Blogging aren’t going really well (again :p) and how I’m spending more and more time out of my comfort zone.
This past week was very busy for me. Somehow I scheduled a social activity every single evening, which left me completely drained at the end of the week. Since I don’t schedule my blog posts, this meant this week was very quiet. That doesn’t mean I’m quitting 40 Days of Blogging, though! I’m only now getting my writing flow back and I’d love to keep it. I’ll just have to lengthen this 40 Days thing a bit, to make up for lost days.
One of these days I’m going to forget about my comfort zone
So, like Kathleen, I left my comfort zone a bit last week. I think this is the third time I talk about leaving my comfort zone in these Sunday Scribbles. (If I step outside my comfort zone this easily maybe those boundaries aren’t my true borders, but something I’ve talked myself into? Or that my zone got very small?) I send a message to someone I didn’t know well (an old classmate) and asked if she wanted to go with me to Creative Talk (Let’s Talk Design).
Let’s Talk Design is one of those events that have been on my radar for a while, but I never went, because I never knew who to ask and didn’t want to go alone. Obviously, I had a really nice evening. Since this was an industry event I learned a lot about graphic design and visual development and left feeling so inspired.
Hearing people talk about their job, their passion for their craft really works on me. I always let myself be swept away and afterwards I can feel the urge to create course through my veins. It’s really a physical sensation for me, but the feeling never stays long. I haven’t found a way to capture it or to call upon it when I need it. Maybe you have a tip for this? One thing I do know is that this feeling always helps me realise that I am in the right industry because I never feel this with anything other than design, illustration or art.
Random Sunday Scribbles
Things that made me happy
- Spring! Seeing all the green pop-up, the birds whistling, the cycling without a jacket,… Best time of the year!
- Hanging out with lots of different people. So tiring, but also pretty awesome.
- Smoked salmon + leek Quiche. Best. Thing. Ever.
- Days without a stomach ache. Because for the last couple of weeks the stomach thing, whatever it is, has been acting up. And unless you’re in a similar position, you have no idea how happy you feel when things go back to normal for a while.
Things I enjoyed
- Women Who Draw, a website for female illustrators. So fun to see all the different drawing styles.
- The post Holly wrote on why blogs are still important in 2017 on Decor8. As she put it: “Blogging is NO different than having email or a website. It may not be the ONLY way that we can transfer our ideas and opinions to the world, but it’s still how we can present our work in the most personalized and creative way. And the best part is, it’s our own content and we run the show.“
- Viktorija from And Smile has an ongoing series about inspiration on her blog and she talked about the importance of play. Something I def need to take at heart (+ look at how cute her paintings look!).
- Focus on one thing (or die trying ;))
- Fenne’s 7 lessons from her solitude experiment. A cabin by a lake always sounded good to me, but now even more than ever.
So, that’s it for this week’s Sunday Scribbles. Did you come across anything worth sharing this week (you can be cheeky and link to something you put online)? Or did you cross the border of your comfort zone? Tell me about it in the comments.
Hope you’re having a great day!